Alko Atc - Working?

mw3230

Just back from Spain, 3500 miles of towing without a moment of instability. At times I was towing at around 70mph passing HGVs and the caravan remained rock steady. However, in those long motorway hours I began to wonder if I had loaded correctly (took care, think it's all ok) or whether the ATC was working it's socks off correctly my poor driving and poor loading (don't think that is the case)

My point is, how would we know if the ATC was operating Could it be that it was correcting problems and the driver wasn't aware? . ... or is it all a big con and all we have is a little green light

Well I for one certainly don't think it is a con, but accept some would like a visual indication of it cutting in. To give that would probably need some telemetry and inevitably that increases the cost and complexity, things I if in AL-Ko design team would be reluctant to introduce, preferring a more affordable product.

I can't say in 16K odd total miles I have known mine acting on long auto route type hauls; I do know quite frequently on other roads where I take some roundabouts with a bit of vigour, and bumbling over a particularly rough rally field even at a snails pace.

If on your motorway hauls at a comfort stop, you can stand by a caravan wheel warming yourself, that would indicate it has been active, probably too active!

What is an 'ATC'.

Alan

An AL-Ko specific dynamic stability control system for their trailers. An electronic device that detects the onset of instability and partially applies the van's brakes to enable the tow vehicle to haul the van back into line and stop the instability developing to critical levels.

• Like 1

If the ATC cuts in at all on uneventful motorway driving you have a serious stability problem!

Two years ago I had to do an emergency lane change when something fell off the lorry in front, the ATC cut in then and helped me keep it all together. Thats what it is for.

Just like seatbelts, you hope to never need it.

• Like 1

You KNOW when it's operating.

• Like 1

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

In my experience, you know up to a point, not sure one knows of all its activity.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to find it kicks in today when we move sites in these gales.

I believe this gadget shows via a led when the brakes or ATC operates.

https://www. obelink. nl/technische-accessoires/chassis/al-ko-atc-display. html

http://www. frankana. de/Technology/Safety/Accessories/ATC-Display/ATC-Display-36131-EN-FRA;jsessionid=CF3A73F365F74A35E5DE00D2D3EF4DD5

Not available in the uk. No idea why?

Edited by xtrailman

Does the remote, or even on van LED unit actually tell you the ATC is "acting", or just that it is green good, red not working or flashing red, stuck on?

I have never asked the good lady to ride on the "A" frame and record things whilst I drive the unit through an Elk test.

Edited by JTQ

Does the remote, or even on van LED unit actually tell you the ATC is "acting", or just that it is green good, red not working or flashing red, stuck on?

I have never asked the good lady to ride on the "A" frame and record things whilst I drive the unit through an Elk test.

There's a first time for everything! (and you could then report the findings back to the rest of us - if you survive)

Edited by philspot

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

There's a first time for everything! (and you could then report the findings back to the rest of us - if you survive)

You will get less aggravation from the boys in blue if you use a GoPro camera!

I have recently had an ATC retro-fitted by Al-ko in Southam and I was advised that the led on the A-frame is merely an ATC status indicator.

I have recently had an ATC retro-fitted by Al-ko in Southam and I was advised that the led on the A-frame is merely an ATC status indicator.

That was my understanding also, hence questioning the suggestion of using their remote unit to see if the ATC was acting.

I would agree. ..usually by a slowing down and/or a thump in the back,

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

That was my understanding also, hence questioning the suggestion of using their remote unit to see if the ATC was acting.

Apparently it does indicate activity - this video show the unit operating (@ 03. 50) https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=lTCP6OkrAD4

I've just ordered one from Obelink - not cheap at £128 delivered, but I'll be interested to see when/if the ATC is functioning

Edited by Eddiewin88
  • Like 1

I've just ordered one from Obelink - not cheap at £128 delivered, but I'll be interested to see when/if the ATC is functioning

Thanks, that does show the indicator wink, but my German is not up to understanding the comment. Will be interesting to hear your in use comments.

Presently I can't, for us, see enough benefits to invest anything like that amount. I am confident it works when provoked, not sure adding indicating lights is needed to help my confidence in it, only satisfy my technical interest.

Please keep us posted how active it really is.

Edited by JTQ

The only time mine ever activated was if I took mini-roundabouts a bit briskly. Not sure I could justify spending £128. 00 to tell me I'd just manoeuvred round one. Emoji_1F616.png

According to Alko the braking with ATC can go unnoticed, the remote indicator was at around £90 last year.

According to Alko the braking with ATC can go unnoticed, the remote indicator was at around £90 last year.

Also according to Al-ko, braking is 30%. Hardly enough for the driver to feel it unless expecting to on negotiating a roundabout

I have felt a bit of a tug on a few occasions. Usually when doing a quick left/right/left change on a mini roundabout or similar.

Brian

I have certainly felt the ATC, and always as a result of actions where it is no surprise to me it is taking its cautionary action.

Also according to Al-ko, braking is 30%. Hardly enough for the driver to feel it unless expecting to on negotiating a roundabout

I have felt the ATC myself a couple of times going too fast round islands, but I also believe it could be operating at other times unnoticed, I was under the impression the braking applied depended on the extent of the instability.

I would be disappointed if it was only on off control instead of PID control.