Electric Bikes, Are Many Out There Using Them?

Griff

Have recently bought an electric bike to get me back in the saddle after a 16 year lay off.

Not seen many out and about, are many of you guys using them?

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

If you want to ues it in Spain make sure you dont end up being fined . i think the price tag stops people buying them at the moment but prices should fall in the future .

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/101495-e-bikes-in-spain/

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Know about the Spain etc. scenario CD.

Will be UK use only.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

I would love to have one . ..... Polly would die for one . ....

But as Dave said . ...... £££££££££££££££££££££

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

I have one of these:-

http://www. folding-bikes. net/asbikes/shop/electrobike-mk3/

I've had it for nearly four years and when I bought it, the price was just over £500.

I've taken it to Spain with me for the past three years when I do around 250 miles each year. Whilst I've been there I've discussed with other owners the legalities of riding them and it seems that if they have a twist-grip control they are illegal but if you need to constantly pedal, they are OK. Mine has the twist grip so according to hear-say, I shouldn't be using it. However in three years I've ridden past dozens of police all of whom have ignored me. Just recently as I rode back to my site I was riding along the pavement of a busy main road. A motorcycle policeman overtook me but at the next roundabout, at the top of the hill, I could see him off his bike and checking the traffic. I dismounted to push up the hill, expecting him to "have a word" but all I got was a gruff Hola.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Had mine from AS Bikes as well Jaydug.

Mine's the ElectroBike Plus Elite with 26" wheels.

It has two 36v batteries on it to double the range, second is mounted on the carrier above the rear wheel.

Had mine from AS Bikes as well

My guess is that AS Bikes buy in the parts probably from the East) then build them up locally. I've seen the same motorized hubs and the same battery assembly on other makes however, AS Bikes make a good job of it. The welding pattern on the aluminium is not only strong, but a work of art.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Have recently bought an electric bike to get me back in the saddle after a 16 year lay off.

I've had one for the past couple of years. I bought a kit to convert my existing bike, so the price was reduced accordingly - still not cheap though.

On a full charge the single pannier-mounted battery gives a range around 35 miles if the assist is used continuously, but as it automatically cuts out at 15mph (a legal requirement), and I usually pedal faster than that, then the true range is naturally much higher. I find it particularly useful for making inclines appear less steep, and reducing the effect of a headwind, although it can help considerably in town when continually stopping for junctions, pedestrian crossings, and traffic lights, as it aids the acceleration back up to normal speed again. On the model I opted for, there are five levels of assistance (six if you include zero) and there is an additional thumb throttle (legal in the UK, but not in some other countries) allowing the bike to be propelled without the need to pedal. This last feature, although not normally used, was useful recently when someone ran into the back of my bike, destroying the derailleur gear change. I was only about seven miles from home, but was able to freewheel home rather than having to walk.

I've been adequately impressed that we bought a second kit for my wife's bike. We also have a small single wheel trailer that will fit behind either of the bikes, and that is particularly useful for small amounts of shopping, as it keeps the weight down much lower that pannier bags do, making riding more stable. A word of warning though; as the power is delivered to the front wheel with this kit, and kicks in as soon as the pedals are turned, care is needed when manoeuvring on loose or slippery surfaces, and it is best select a low level of assistance in this situation.

Gordon.

My Mum has got a Giant Twist, its a fantastic bit of kit. (sport mode is a hoot)

It gives Mum the choice of going out with Dad when they go away now.

Dad still uses one of his vintage road bikes but Mum always beats him to the top of hills.

• Like 2

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

We saw lots of 'older' ladies on 'Giant' electric bikes when in Holland last year ! They flew past us ! ;) It's a comfort to know that when we get a bit past it we too have that option ! Not too long now. ....... :D

Edited by Shirl250
  • Like 1

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I am on my second electric bike, bought from AS Bikes at the Newbury show last year. My first bike was bought from another supplier and I could never get the hang of starting off on it as fell off more times than not!

I bought the 36v small wheel version bike from AS and have found it far superior to my other bike and even steep hills are not a problem. The advice I was given before I decided which bike to buy was invaluable. I would have loved to have had the larger wheel version but at only five feet tall it was just too big.

Mr G is hankering to upgrade to one of the AS Bikes as he has bike envy!

. .......A word of warning though; as the power is delivered to the front wheel with this kit, and kicks in as soon as the pedals are turned, care is needed when manoeuvring on loose or slippery surfaces, and it is best select a low level of assistance in this situation.

Gordon.

On the AS bikes Gordon, power is to the rear wheel.

Not sure which layout used the most common.

Edit: Typo.

We saw lots of 'older' ladies on 'Giant' electric bikes when in Holland last year ! They flew past us ! ;) It's a comfort to know that when we get a bit past it we too have that option ! Not too long now. ....... :D

Yep still using the 'leg battery' when they go flat it will be a 'lecky'

• Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

The giants are assisted not full on powered like some. Although they are light enough to be ridden easily if it does go flat.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

I am using a Woosh Santana which I bought from the shop in Southend. I have used it in Spain all the past winter without any interest being shown by the police. It works a treat and I could not go back to a non assisted bike now.

I've got my eyes on one of these when we go to France later this year. Exchange rate makes it a good buy by comparison.

http://produits-volumineux. e-leclerc. com/univers+vpv/catalogue/produit/vélo-à-assistance-electrique-moov-in-street,6206/

There is a 36v version as well

http://produits-volumineux. e-leclerc. com/univers+vpv/catalogue/produit/vélo-à-assistance-électrique-moovin-city-36v,6413/

Edited by maplecottage

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any electric bikes that look like normal mountain bikes, rather than being step through bikes?

If you mean like mine, then the answer is, "yes", but you'll probably have to carry out the electric conversion yourself.

Picture taken during the local floods last year. . .

cycle track during the 2014 floods.jpg

Are there any electric bikes that look like normal mountain bikes, rather than being step through bikes?

Certainly are, sit down first.

https://www. e-bikeshop. co. uk/

I would love to get an electric bike but the very high cost is a deterring factor. Also for a very small select market

there appears to be endless choice mostly imported from China and I think spares and repairs come high on my

list at this sort of cost.

Must admit that I talked to the AS guys at a Motorhome/Caravan show we attended and was impressed with them and their product including the price.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

I've had one for the past couple of years. I bought a kit to convert my existing bike, so the price was reduced accordingly - still not cheap though.

Gordon, can you let us know where you bought the kit, and how easy was it to fit?

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

• 2 months later...

Yes there are, just added this to my stable LeadFarmer.

post-1814-0-80923700-1437412457_thumb.jpg

It's a Volt Alpine X.

Edit; Typo.

Edited by Griff

Just come back from the continent and we noticed load of Dutch using them. Apparently even the teenagers in Holland are using them.

Alan

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.