Buying Second Hand...

Bobby Brocklebank

After another in-depth debate with "she who has to be obeyed" we have hopefully came to a final decision on buying a second hand van instead of using a chunk of me pension on a lightweight just for me as we want to do a bit of traveling. . Its like starting all over again but this time with twenty odd years of experience behind me. ..

So. .... ? So a two berth. Must be within 1300kg Max Tow weight and Nose weight being 75kg. With a kerb weight of 1509kg don't have much room to play with. Budget was £2000 min but after trawling the net the better second hand outfits seem to be between 2 and 3 big ones and all appear to be down souf, so £2500 most probably max. Must have Combi air blown heating but many at this price have only gas air blown, combi hot water, thetford loo and shower. Spying two definite's at the moment one in particular is absolutely minted with many extras backed up with recent service reports for damp etc. ..

My question is and maybe slightly embarrassed after many years of touring and owning 5 vans in the past, how do you check for damp with a damp meter ? Only ever had one damp van. Under the impression you prod the usual suspect areas and smell is another obvious sign. What readings should I be looking for as I have always put my trust on the servicing team ? As I have said before selling my auld Ace was a BIG MISTAKE !! Your help as usual is greatly appreciated. . ;)

GAS . ... :)

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

GAS you have to check the windows by carefully lifting the rubber seal and lightly pushing the prongs into the wallboard so any marks left by the prongs / probes of the damp meter are not visible, also check out side lockers especially cassette loo locker door .

Also look inside any internal high level lockers for signs of damp and again check with a damp meter probe especially around any areas where there is a roof joint and of course feel for any floor sponginess .

And remember to look underneath the van for any tell tale signs of floor damp again especially around the cassette loo area

• Like 2

2023 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Audi Q5 TFSI-e  S-Line

I have one of these which I bought when our van was showing signs of damp at a service so that I could monitor it. It shows exactly the same readings as reported by the workshop.

• Like 1

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

Well done GAS!! :D . ....and about time too! ;)

• Like 1

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

GAS! We all knew that you would be back!

• Like 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Can we zero all his posting numbers now and start again?

(ducks quickly. ..)

rgds

geoff

• Like 2

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We had a 1998 Bailey pageant imperial, was a fantastic van before we had the kids. Lovely big end bathroom, nice bit of space for the kitchen and large front seating area/bed. I was really impressed with the build quality of the Bailey it was very solid. My friend bought the van of us and it is still going strong. If we didnt have the children we would probs still have it, I am pretty sure they are under 1300kg or very close to it. You should be able to get a nice one for your budget around that age or a bit newer.

As for damp testing it is just a case of buying a tester and get prodding.

Hi Grumps . ... a nice looking Avondale on Gumtree . .... at Alloa . .....

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Hi Grumps . ... a nice looking Avondale on Gumtree . .... at Alloa . .....

Cheers

Pete

Cheers Petes . ... In discussion with owner of a 2001 ABI Sprinter, Location Top Secret in Yorkshire . Absolutely minted with full history,extras are unbelievable but no Air Blown on electric. Like my Winter Touring and the having the air blown on a low peep all day is a must but my tight budget is having an impact on in-van toys. . Damp Meter is ordered Ian and hopefully arrive today. Thank's again for the info and will check out of the avondale. . I'm smack in the middle of my Shift Pattern and lost one already due to first come first served . ..

GAS . ..... :rolleyes:

Cheers Petes . ... In discussion with owner of a 2001 ABI Sprinter, Location Top Secret in Yorkshire . Absolutely minted with full history,extras are unbelievable but no Air Blown on electric. Like my Winter Touring and the having the air blown on a low peep all day is a must but my tight budget is having an impact on in-van toys. . Damp Meter is ordered Ian and hopefully arrive today. Thank's again for the info and will check out of the avondale. . I'm smack in the middle of my Shift Pattern and lost one already due to first come first served . ..

GAS . ..... :rolleyes:

Actually, Grumps . .... there is alot of vans on Gumtree at the moment . ..... in your price bracket . ....

Good luck in the hunt . .....

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Actually, Grumps . .... there is alot of vans on Gumtree at the moment . ..... in your price bracket . ....

Good luck in the hunt . .....

Pete

Trawl them daily but there is a lot of greedy people out of there Pete . .. When you ask about damp issues ? There is a lot of damp issues. ... :rolleyes:

GAS . ....

We paid £4k nearly 3 years ago. that got us a 2001 Sterling Europa, which has 3 way fridge, combi blown air, combi water heater, full flyscreens, heki sunroof, 4 burner hob, separate grill and oven. Best of all, the woodwork is all pretty modern looking and solid. They aren't too heavy either (we have the four berth fixed double, MTPLM 1340kg). Worth a look.

What about this gas? Better the devil you know ref Ace

http://www. caravanfinder. co. uk/touring-caravans-for-sale/search-caravans/ace-jubilee-ambassador-used-caravan-2002-lancashire-tk01a6456

Welcome back by the way!! Didn't think it would take long. ...

We paid £4k nearly 3 years ago. that got us a 2001 Sterling Europa, which has 3 way fridge, combi blown air, combi water heater, full flyscreens, heki sunroof, 4 burner hob, separate grill and oven. Best of all, the woodwork is all pretty modern looking and solid. They aren't too heavy either (we have the four berth fixed double, MTPLM 1340kg). Worth a look.

God alpha I sold my dry a shone 2004 Ace for £4k with many extras. . More of a mates deal to be honest. .. Had a wee look at the Avondale and yes interesting . .. Contacted the seller and only up the road. . Hhmm ? Thanks for the Heads Up Milky . .. ;)

GAS . ... :angry:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to look at a 1997 / 98 2 Berth Classic Silhouette. Looks clean and cared for but has had a damp repair done at the kitchen window ?? Kind a put me off a bit but will check it out armed with my newly purchased Damp Meter . . Fingers Crossed . . Need to be a bit sharper of the mark. . Lost out of on two so far. . :rolleyes:

GAS . ..... :angry: