Under Carpet Heating

Durbanite

Although we have ALDE heating, we have always found it to be quite cool in front between the bunks. Eventually we decided to invest in a Rug Buddy. What a difference! We do not have to have the heating up so high now and are very comfortable. At night we unplug it.

• Like 2

Can it safely, without structural concerns, be used on our type of sandwich construction floors?

Can it safely, without structural concerns, be used on our type of sandwich construction floors?

It does have a thick underlay and heat rises so I don't really see an issue. See picture.

post-65184-0-40283700-1425226122_thumb.jpg

Heat rises with convection, but here we are dealing with conduction so heat just as readily goes downwards. As the ply meets the foam insulation barrier, it certainly will get localised hot.

It might well be okay and not cause expansion warping or delamination, I hope it is okay.

It is something I would check out with my caravan maker as I can see it has the potential to cause issues on our sandwich bonded floors.

Edited by JTQ

Heat rises with convection, but here we are dealing with conduction so heat just as readily goes downwards. As the ply meets the foam insulation barrier, it certainly will get localised hot.

It might well be okay and not cause expansion warping or delamination, I hope it is okay.

It is something I would check out with my caravan maker as I can see it has the potential to cause issues on our sandwich bonded floors.

The floor gets slightly warm, but not hot otherwise I would have concerns like yourself.

The floor gets slightly warm, but not hot otherwise I would have concerns like yourself.

Good to hear.

• 1 month later...

The whole of my floor has electric under carpet heating with no problems .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

• 5 months later...

It does have a thick underlay and heat rises so I don't really see an issue. See picture.

Their website appears to recommend underlay more for health and safety - slipping etc but my carpets are all secured by press studs at each corner. Would you still reckon underlay to be necessary given JTQ's comments and your reply please?

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Your pm system must be full - tried to pm you for answer on post above. I don't mind paying for the underlay but slightly concerned about how the 'raised' carpet will look.

Hello

Your pm system must be full - tried to pm you for answer on post above. I don't mind paying for the underlay but slightly concerned about how the 'raised' carpet will look.

It hardly raises the carpet, but does stop the carpet from moving. We have no issues.

Heat can't be too much of a problem, if any, in floors, else Whale underfloor heating units would have an adverse effect. Mind you, they are sited where you cannot walk on them.

Any extra heat source, will upset systems, like Whale blown air, as the thermostat switch on, will be delayed due to the extra localized heat and areas such as the washroom will get extra cool, as that relies on shared heat from a single source.

How do I know?

I tried out a 500 Watt panel heater over the weekend, and while the main area stayed cozy, the washroom was decidedly chilly.

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Hello

Ta. Given I have press studs at each corner and in middle of each long length, think I will try without to start off.

Ta. Given I have press studs at each corner and in middle of each long length, think I will try without to start off.

The underlay is very thin and can be compressed. The air pockets also help trap warm air and keeps it warm long after it has been switched off. We have the ALDE system and we now have the caravan warmed up evenly through out. We turn it on and off as it suits us so no issue with cold spots. We are out in the caravan again this weekend if you want any more info and I can take more photos if necessary.

Heat can't be too much of a problem, if any, in floors, else Whale underfloor heating units would have an adverse effect. Mind you, they are sited where you cannot walk on them.

Any extra heat source, will upset systems, like Whale blown air, as the thermostat switch on, will be delayed due to the extra localized heat and areas such as the washroom will get extra cool, as that relies on shared heat from a single source.

How do I know?

I tried out a 500 Watt panel heater over the weekend, and while the main area stayed cozy, the washroom was decidedly chilly.

More valid points thanks. Reckon though that your 500 watt heater will have greater impact on the stat than my 96 watt rugbuddy on order. It also depends on layout of whale outlets/position of stat.

The underlay is very thin and can be compressed. The air pockets also help trap warm air and keeps it warm long after it has been switched off. We have the ALDE system and we now have the caravan warmed up evenly through out. We turn it on and off as it suits us so no issue with cold spots. We are out in the caravan again this weekend if you want any more info and I can take more photos if necessary.

Many thanks but have placed order and will try first with no underlay. Cos I have the press studs (6 for the carpet in question) I wont bother taping the buddy down which gives me chance to do the underlay thingy later if necessary.

More valid points thanks. Reckon though that your 500 watt heater will have greater impact on the stat than my 96 watt rugbuddy on order. It also depends on layout of whale outlets/position of stat.

Many thanks but have placed order and will try first with no underlay. Cos I have the press studs (6 for the carpet in question) I wont bother taping the buddy down which gives me chance to do the underlay thingy later if necessary.

I must admit I would be a bit wary of using it without any underlay, but that is just a feeling. They are quite prompt with delivery so you could be using it this weekend if away.

I must admit I would be a bit wary of using it without any underlay, but that is just a feeling. They are quite prompt with delivery so you could be using it this weekend if away.

Fair enough. I'll get some - thanks

DT: Can you advise what underlay you have there please.

Ern

I got my Rug Buddy on Delta's recommendation and it works really well. Interestingly the underlay (anti slip) that they sent me looks different than Delta's photo.

We only have it in the lounge area. When it's very cold it is fantastic. But when it is only mildly closed it can get a bit over warm under foot.

It would be great if a localised thermostat could be fitted, or some way of reducing the output. Anyone any ideas.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I got my Rug Buddy on Delta's recommendation and it works really well. Interestingly the underlay (anti slip) that they sent me looks different than Delta's photo.

We only have it in the lounge area. When it's very cold it is fantastic. But when it is only mildly closed it can get a bit over warm under foot.

It would be great if a localised thermostat could be fitted, or some way of reducing the output. Anyone any ideas.

John

Once the carpet area has warmed up, we switch it off as the air trapped in the pockets in the underfelt keep it warm for quite some time.

John

You can buy a plug in voltage adjuster, they're used to adjust the speed on power tools etc. I think B&Q or Screwfix would have it.

Ern

Once the carpet area has warmed up, we switch it off as the air trapped in the pockets in the underfelt keep it warm for quite some time.

In cold conditions we leave ours on 24/7 and it does fine.

I agree we could turn on and off as needed in less cold conditions but I have deliberately put the plug out of reach which makes it difficult, particularly when the table is up. An automatic system would suit well.

You can buy a plug in voltage adjuster, they're used to adjust the speed on power tools etc. I think B&Q or Screwfix would have it.

So would one of thee do the job as the panel is less than 100 watts?

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Variispeed-300W-Plug-In-Variable-Fan-Speed-Controller-Hydroponics/261398614429?_trksid=p2047675. c100005. m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC. MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33840%26meid%3Dd12a3d93f08f4dda865185fbc9261c32%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D251743679361

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

In cold conditions we leave ours on 24/7 and it does fine.

I agree we could turn on and off as needed in less cold conditions but I have deliberately put the plug out of reach which makes it difficult, particularly when the table is up. An automatic system would suit well.

So would one of thee do the job as the panel is less than 100 watts?

I don't know. You would have to read the technical data on the product. At that wattage, you may even be able to use a lighting dimmer. It needs to be checked out.

Ern