17 replies to this topic

#1 dairic

dairic

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

Is ther eaway of telling how much gas is left in a propane bottle, as I don't want to exchange it if there is still a fair amount in there , cheers.

#2 olderbutnotwiser

olderbutnotwiser

Work Sucks!!!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:Caravans
    Real Ale
    Rugby
    Music

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

From the Calor site:

How can I monitor how much gas is left in a cylinder?

Calorís 5kg and 13kg Patio Gas cylinders, are fitted with Calor's new Gas Trac - an indicator which tells you when you are running low on gas. For all other cylinders, the empty tare weight can be found on a metal disc on the shroud, this gives the weight of the cylinder in pounds and ounces. To convert this to kilograms multiply this number by 0.453592. Once you have the empty weight of the cylinder you can put it on some scales, then you will have the total weight, so you can now take the empty cylinder weight off the total, this will give you how much gas you have left in the cylinder.

Simple ... NOT!!! :angry: :angry:

#3 hairdresser

hairdresser

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning"!!!! reading. eating out, holidays

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:32 PM

We had the same problem to, I went on to a caravan forum (try ed this one first) and found out how to tell,pour hot water down the out side of the gas bottle take it out of the front locker first, you may think that goes with out saying but some one queered it, the part that is empty will be will stay warm the part with gas in will go cool, and it works,
Carol

#4 west-is-best

west-is-best

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:40 PM

Betterware do a 'stick on' gauge that tells you - about 3 pounds or so.

A simple way is to have a spare and use the other until empty then switch over to your new. Then take your empty for a refill and your are back to two.

I know that this increases your nose weight and results in two deposits on bottles but it is a sure fire way to ensure that you do not run out whilst on site or send back any canisters with gas in.

#5 Ted

Ted

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

Will be buying on of these next time I go shopping for bits for the caravan.

Ted
:)

#6 tim

tim

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:57 AM

I tried one of the "stick on" ones, but never seemed to get it to work.

I see calor gas sell a batery operated one for about £10.00, has anyone tried one of these?

Tim

#7 widu13

widu13

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

Betterware do a 'stick on' gauge that tells you - about 3 pounds or so.

A simple way is to have a spare and use the other until empty then switch over to your new. Then take your empty for a refill and your are back to two.

I know that this increases your nose weight and results in two deposits on bottles but it is a sure fire way to ensure that you do not run out whilst on site or send back any canisters with gas in.

Bought it, tried it. They don't work.

#8 Brassneck

Brassneck

Undiscovered genius

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:18 PM

Gaslow valves work pretty well.
Its a gauge that tells you exactly how much you have. had one on my last van, although on this one i just have 2 bottles.

#9 Spyder

Spyder

Ron

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:53 PM

I have three bottles, two 13kg and one 6kg. (Two Calor, one Flogas, that's why I'm reluctant to change!)

I carry one 13kg and carry the 6kg as a back-up.

When the 13kg runs out, I change to the 6kg but swap the 13kg ASAP and change back to it ASAP.

When I think the the 6kg is getting empty, I swap that for the spare full 13kg and then carry a nearly empty 13kg and a full 13kg.

I then change the 6kg and swap back over thus back to carrying a 13kg and a 6kg.

Must admit though, when the Flogas runs out next I don't think I'll replace it, I'll just run with the two, one 13kg and one 6kg, both Calor 'cos they are easier to get swapped.

Edited by Spyder, 19 July 2006 - 04:57 PM.

#10 Rodders

Rodders

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

I have 2 x 7kg, when one runs out i change to the other, no problem, might have a look at the BP version, see through and light, any got one??

Rod

#11 Spyder

Spyder

Ron

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

I have 2 x 7kg, when one runs out i change to the other, no problem, might have a look at the BP version, see through and light, any got one??

Rod

At £41.50 for a new 10kg bottle, not likely!

:lol: :lol:

Edited by Spyder, 19 July 2006 - 05:50 PM.

#12 brightredrover

brightredrover

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

We had the same problem to, I went on to a caravan forum (try ed this one first) and found out how to tell,pour hot water down the out side of the gas bottle take it out of the front locker first, you may think that goes with out saying but some one queered it, the part that is empty will be will stay warm the part with gas in will go cool, and it works,
Carol

We always use this method and it DOES work.

#13 Rodders

Rodders

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

At £41.50 for a new 10kg bottle, not likely!

:lol: :lol:

I was thinking purely from a safety point of view regarding the weight.

Rod

Edited by Rodders, 19 July 2006 - 08:36 PM.

#14 bobren55

bobren55

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Radio Control Model Flying, Caravannning, Computers and DIY. Not necessarily in that order!!

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:59 PM

Is ther eaway of telling how much gas is left in a propane bottle, as I don't want to exchange it if there is still a fair amount in there , cheers.

Why not weigh the bottle on a set of bathroom scales? The same scales that I use to check the nose weight.

Weigh the bottes when full and make a note of the weight. If, for example, it weighs 25Kg full and has 13Kg of gas inside it will be close to 12Kg when nearly empty.

This method works for me :rolleyes:

Bob R

#15 thelonegroover

thelonegroover

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Running, Walking, Crawling, Drinking not necessarily in that order.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

I think the only really reliable way is to remove and shake. You'll notice its quite a bit lighter as well.

#16 pete.b

pete.b

Pete.b

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:43 AM

Hi All take a look at this it will help. It's from way!!!!!! back when
http://www.caravanta...hl=how much gas

Pete.

#17 cb1701

cb1701

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:caravaning , scuba diving, and on here

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:00 AM

Hi as said earlier we use two gas cylinders a 6kg calor propane and a 4.9kg shell gas propane when one has run out we get an exchange asap , we use a shell gas cylinder as we can claim that through work , i would like a bp cylinder but availability and being a bit pricey yet bothers me , i,m sure as they come more common place they might be a bit more cost effective but iv'e not seen anywhere local to me that doe's re-stocking as yet , it still seems to be allcalor still at the moment.

#18 ian dunning

ian dunning

Contributor of the Year 2012

• Robert Jackson Award winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,244 posts
  • Towcar:Mercedes B200 Sport
  • Caravan:Pegasus Verona

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:56 AM

Hi All,

I was at Leyburn when I noticed our neighbour looking in his front locker then scratching his head. Upon asking if I could help he told me that he thought his regulator was faulty as he couldn't get any gas appliances to work. I asked the obvious question and he told me he had just bought a new bottle and me being the trusting soul that I am picked it up and found it to be empty. So the moral of the story is to check that the new cylinder has gas in it!

Regards,

Ian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users