Drink Driving In Scotland

Honk

So we now have the new lower limit for drink driving in Scotland, but there is a grey area.

If you are over the limit in Scotland, but under the limit in England, would you only be banned from driving in Scotland as you have not broken the English law?

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

There might be a grey area but the answer whether in Scotland or England

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE. Simples. :D

• Like 7

So we now have the new lower limit for drink driving in Scotland, but there is a grey area.

If you are over the limit in Scotland, but under the limit in England, would you only be banned from driving in Scotland as you have not broken the English law?

H.

It's not a grey area - any EU citizen banned from driving is banned from driving from all EU countries regardless of whether the incident was legal somewhere else.

It's not top priority but expect the limit in England to come down during the next parliament.

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

H.

Hi Honk. A good question and one that I had pondered over myself.

I would guess that it might-well come down to where the licence was originally issued from.

If the license was issued outside of the EU then yes; you would be banned from driving in any EU state but not in the original country of issue.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

It's not a grey area - any EU citizen banned from driving is banned from driving from all EU countries regardless of whether the incident was legal somewhere else.

It's not top priority but expect the limit in England to come down during the next parliament.

Not according to this :

http://www. mirror. co. uk/news/uk-news/foreign-drink-drivers-should-banned-life-4578208

knarf

Good question that I had never thought of, but I agree with the Yorkypud, best not to do it.

But. ..

Having always enjoyed a glass of wine (or two) when in the caravan and a little concerned about the morning after so. ..I have got myself a breathalyser to be 100% when North of the border, after testing I'm pleased to say that I have not even being close. But it does gives you the confirmation better than guessing.

I understood it to be that you must stay in Scotland until the ban has expired. :lol::P

• Like 2

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I understood it to be that you must stay in Scotland until the ban has expired. :lol::P

Does that amount to a 'cruel and unusual' punishment? If so under EU law it is unenforceable

• Like 1

Trevor.

Anyone who unsafe to drive at the new limits is IMHO not safe to drive at all.

There are 100's if not 1000's of unsafe drivers out there who seldom drink at all!!.

Edited by blondchaser

Why would you want to go to Scotland anyway - it's full of midges :)

Only in August. It's too cold for them the rest of the year. :)

If you are convicted and banned by a Scottish court for drink driving you will not be able to drive anywhere in the UK. DVLA will simply record the offence under Scottish law and the punishment will be universal. Same effect on your life if caught just different alcohol amounts tolerated.

• Like 1

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Good question that I had never thought of, but I agree with the Yorkypud, best not to do it.

But. ..

Having always enjoyed a glass of wine (or two) when in the caravan and a little concerned about the morning after so. ..I have got myself a breathalyser to be 100% when North of the border, after testing I'm pleased to say that I have not even being close. But it does gives you the confirmation better than guessing.

Yes I got one as well and was very surprised at readings which put me under the limit even though I felt I certainly would not like it drive a car. Makes me wonder just how safe the old limit was.

"Makes me wonder just how safe the old limit was."

Or how accurate the breathalyser is!

knarf

I agree, but you can do a calibration check with the breathalyser so it should be quite accurate.

But apart from 'playing with it' for me it is a check in case I need to drive earlier than planned the next day in an emergency.

The aggressive style of driving that is almost the norm in some cities now I think a driver needs to be at their sharpest to avoid damage. Never agreed with drinking and driving and would never support someone who did.

The lower limits that now apply in Scotland already apply to France, and probably to many other EU countries. So it would be reasonable, and sensible, for the rest of the UK to align itself to the same limits. In the future, even these limits could well be tightened further - there are no practical excuses for not doing so.

I cannot imagine the limit ever going down to zero, because there are some over-the-counter prescriptions which are not regarded as it being essential NOT to drive when taking them, and which may possibly produce the same readings on a breathaliser as those for a very low alcohol intake.

"Makes me wonder just how safe the old limit was."

Or how accurate the breathalyser is!

knarf

As has been said it can be calibrated and the one I bought was recommended and had very good reviews. What IS needed is a government approved breathalyser kit. Now, as with most of my family and friends, we just don't have any drink when driving, but WILL use it the following morning to check whether I am safe to drive. I understand though it's having a bad effect on places like golf clubs where members might go in for 1 pint after a round. All my tests however suggest that you would be WELL within the limit after a pint despite the warnings that a pint would send you close to or over the limit.

The difference between just under and just over any particular arbitary limit is, well arbitary - and the difference in driving ability immeasurable.

Like speed limits, the drink drive limit encourages some drivers to drive up to the limit - that's not a good thing.

Don't forget that drinks, eg beer, vary enormously in their strength so any concept that x number of pints is ok is completely fallacious - as is the assumed rate of reduction, it may be 1 unit/hour on average but it has huge variation among the population.

As has been said it can be calibrated and the one I bought was recommended and had very good reviews. What IS needed is a government approved breathalyser kit. Now, as with most of my family and friends, we just don't have any drink when driving, but WILL use it the following morning to check whether I am safe to drive. I understand though it's having a bad effect on places like golf clubs where members might go in for 1 pint after a round. All my tests however suggest that you would be WELL within the limit after a pint despite the warnings that a pint would send you close to or over the limit.

Pubs and restaurants takings are down 30% since the new law was introduced. Customer are simply changing their habits due to the morning after fear. .. Seen me and the Mrs sharing a nice bottle of red during the week watching a movie but with a six o'clock start or even 0800 o'clock not any more. If I was to be honest the new law has made me more aware and really only drink when on my eight days off so my usual weekly intake of bevy has been greatly reduced . ... As I said before in a previous Thread to the Southern Softies be very aware when up here on holiday. Have witnessed many leaving the site in the morning after a heavy night in the awning. .

GAS . .... ;)

• Like 1

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Pubs and restaurants takings are down 30% since the new law was introduced. Customer are simply changing their habits due to the morning after fear. .. Seen me and the Mrs sharing a nice bottle of red during the week watching a movie but with a six o'clock start or even 0800 o'clock not any more. If I was to be honest the new law has made me more aware and really only drink when on my eight days off so my usual weekly intake of bevy has been greatly reduced . ... As I said before in a previous Thread to the Southern Softies be very aware when up here on holiday. Have witnessed many leaving the site in the morning after a heavy night in the awning. .

GAS . .... ;)

I think Scottish politicians and health authorities will regard it as good if alcohol consumption is reduced - the Scots, statistically do have a problem - and my experience is that more Scots are TT than in the rest of the UK so the drinkers must be getting through a lot - I'm doing my share!

I manage to fit my drinking time around whether or not I am driving the next day, or at what time if I am - OH doesn't drive so the plan is down to me. Nowadays we never visit pubs - only going out for the occasional meal, mostly when on holiday. In which case one large glass of wine followed by two or three hours stroll, or alternatively taking a taxi, solves the matter.

I think those with the greatest problem are the drivers who "didn't mean to drink too much" but do not have the will power to stick to their intentions.

I cannot imagine the limit ever going down to zero, because there are some over-the-counter prescriptions which are not regarded as it being essential NOT to drive when taking them, and which may possibly produce the same readings on a breathaliser as those for a very low alcohol intake.

I vaguely remember a court case some years ago where a Whisky Distillery worker was breathalysed and found to be over the limit, despite only having had half a pint of beer. He was eventually found to have a permanent low level of alcohol in his blood stream due to the alcohol fumes in his workplace. Can't remember if the conviction was overturned or not. :blink::blink:

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

When I have been on site and seen the number of discarded wine, beer and spirit bottles beside the bins I have often wondered how many caravanners would be over the limit when they set off in the morning. I'm quite sure that many caravanners regularly consume far more than the recommended alcohol limits.

Recently I discussed this subject with a medical practioner that I know and he told me that there is research evidence which indicates that many of the patients who have been diagnosed with early onset dementia are really suffering from brain damage caused by regularly consuming too much alcohol. If that is true then the issue is much bigger than simply exceeding the drink-drive limits.

• Like 1

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Can't see why they can't fit a system in cars that can measure alcohol content. Had a drink, car won't start. would solve the problem of drink driving overnight :-)