Dealer Description Advice

Could anyone please advise me if the attached photo has silver side skirts and spats, the dealer special description says it has but not sure if I'm missing something but to me it hasn't . Not sure if I'm looking in the right place.

post-71624-0-89463300-1423858245_thumb.jpg

No it doesn't, but, you aren't buying a photo, you need to see the van in the flesh.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

No it doesn't, but, you aren't buying a photo, you need to see the van in the flesh.

Already gave the van a check over when going to pick it up last week but declined it due to various defects but since reading the description I'm positive it was the same exterior look.

I have to wonder what "side skirts and spats" are! I have never seen a caravan with anything that I would describe as either.

I have to wonder what "side skirts and spats" are! I have never seen a caravan with anything that I would describe as either.

I was thinking same thing but reading the dealer description it says it has I'm sure I'm missing something.

post-71624-0-28763300-1423859604_thumb.jpg

From the photo it appears to have mud flaps and a silver coloured A frame cover, perhaps that's what they mean.

From the photo it appears to have mud flaps and a silver coloured A frame cover, perhaps that's what they mean.

Christ, hope not as their descriptions would be well off the mark.

Hi Newhouse. Judging by your public ID info - you have already taken possession of the caravan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you buy it blind and or just based on an initial description ?

As I understand - Silver Side Skirts are the lower pieces that run the length of the caravan body and are both before and after the wheel-arch at the lowest position and the spats are what some would call wheel-arch covers.

The Explorer Group did a great many of their products in that style a few years back,indeed I believe that it was introduced to coincide with the introduction of SoLiD.

• Like 1

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Newhouse. Judging by your public ID info - you have already taken possession of the caravan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you buy it blind and or just based on an initial description ?

As I understand - Silver Side Skirts are the lower pieces that run the length of the caravan body and are both before and after the wheel-arch at the lowest position and the spats are what some would call wheel-arch covers.

The Explorer Group did a great many of their products in that style a few years back,indeed I believe that it was introduced to coincide with the introduction of SoLiD.

Put deposit down at Manchester show in jan and went to collect last sat at dealers but various problems caused me and the dealer to reject the van so collecting another one next sat. Just sat re reading the spec and noticed the silver skirts and spats and seem to remember not noticing them being silver last week while I did my checks. Edited by Newhouse

I would say "spats" would be what are normally termed "mud flaps" which it appears to have.

Don't know about the "Silver Side Skirts".

Ian

Looks like there's a mismatch between description and photo and there may be a mismatch between description and actual van. From the photo it looks like you're buying a 'dealer special' version of the Elddis Affinity which will usually have some additional equipment and upholstery plus it's own badging when compared to the standard oroduct.

Dealer Specials tend to be made in smaller batches than the standard line and occasionally mistakes are made in the spec. agreed with the dealer. I suspect the vans were supposed to have the silver trim, hence the description, but it got forgotten when the van was built. If it's important to you I guess you could reject it, though from what you've said here I get the impression you weren't aware it should have silver trim, so it's obviously not that important.

My van was one of only three Amberleys built and is missing a 'Sussex' decal on the o/s/r and was labeled a 'Premier Edition' van when it should have read 'Club Edition'. It means my van is unique, the only one of its kind.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Aren't spats the fairing over the wheel?

They are, and the side skirts, as mentioned above, the very lowest part of the side. Clearly seen in silver in the photo in post no 10 above.

Our dealer special 2013 Elddis Avant came with these.

I would advise taking a camera to the handover, then you can check back on how things were when you first saw it.

Enjoy your caravan.

They are, and the side skirts, as mentioned above, the very lowest part of the side. Clearly seen in silver in the photo in post no 10 above.

Our dealer special 2013 Elddis Avant came with these.

I would advise taking a camera to the handover, then you can check back on how things were when you first saw it.

Enjoy your caravan.

Hmm! I would have thought that they are standard on all caravans? Seems dealer is trying to pull a fast one almost like making out that the caravan coming with wheels is a free extra?

It's not a 'fast one', it's just that dealers love 'bigging up' a spec. so it attracts punters. They would and sometimes do include the wheels in a spec. especially if they're alloys and have a fancy name. As I posted I suspect the dealer ordered his 'Specials' with silver trim but the one offered to the OP has been built without it.

The big question is how hard you haggle for an extra discount because they are the wtong colour!

Exactly Stevan. My van was a 2012MY and I was buying at the end of 2013MY. I got a substantial discount because of that and an extra couple of hundred off because of the wrong decals and because they had no supplies of the missing one. However you'd only know the van was labelled incorrectly if you were a Sussex Caravans anorak and that a decal was missing if we parked next to another Sussex van of the same year.

Hmm! I would have thought that they are standard on all caravans? Seems dealer is trying to pull a fast one almost like making out that the caravan coming with wheels is a free extra?

Hi DTio. As Andy says/suggests,some dealers like to Bling Bling and Big-up the product. The skirts to a caravan are a little like having the lower parts of a car body painted in a contrasting colour.

Back in the late 70's I had a Ford Granada 2. 8 Auto Ghia Estate that was Imperial Red Metallic with Solar Gold Metallic to the lower parts of the bodywork from the Swage Line on the doors and all around the car - it really did look the business along with a Gold Coach-line along the edge of the front wings and just below the windows through to the very rear.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

You are right, they do all have them. Just the dealer specials making a big thing about them being silver, rather than the standard white.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.