Newbie From Outer Hebrides

donaldjmac

Hi, I'm Donald from the Isle of Lewis.

We have been caravaning for over 10 years in a 1996 Sterling Espace and now we have a 2006 Sterling Elite Searcher.

Hope that I can be of assistance and I'm sure the sentiments are the same from yourselves.

Donald . ... :welcome: to the best caravan forum . ..... in the world . ....

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Hi Donald and welcome.

• Like 1

Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I sit and listen. Sometimes I sit and watch. Most times I just sit.

Hello and welcome :)

• Like 1

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

Hi Donald. Just some advice please :- What is most cost effective way in getting to Lewis? From Ullapool or via Skye and Harris?

Where are the best sites on the Outer Hebrides?

Hi Donald. Just some advice please :- What is most cost effective way in getting to Lewis? From Ullapool or via Skye and Harris?

Where are the best sites on the Outer Hebrides?

Hi blondchaser. In response to your queries. The cost on the Calmac, Ullapool Stornoway crossing is more expensive as you are longer at sea- 2hrs 30 mins - but it will have the new Loch Seaforth ferry soon. ...

The Uig - Tarbert crossing is shorter 1hr40 mins, and not as expensive. The roads to Uig are not as good and it takes slightly longer to get there as it does to Ullapool. Swings and roundabouts cost wise - more time on ferry, less fuel required to get there or less time on more time to get there.

Sites in Lewis, wild camping is fine so you can pitch on machair land. Also there are sites in the main town of Stornoway or in Uig on the west side of Lewis. Worth going to Harris and the Horgabost site, where we annually pitch, is. Horgabost site is £10-15 per pitch.

Many travel to Barra from Oban and travel through theHebrides and leave through Stornoway, using the Hebridean hopscotch ticket.

Happy travels

Thanks for that Donald. When I was at college most of my pals were from Lewis. It was a real struggle keeping up with them in the whisky drinking. Some really stunning burds though.

Went to Hebrides on a new year coach trip and stayed in Stornoway. All went great until Sunday when the place was in total shutdown and we had to go to the Tarbert hotel Harris to get lunch. (great old Bedford bus there)

On the ferry going over to Stornoway we were kept well entertained by a helicopter doing an emergency practice by lifting and lowering people on to the ferry whilst still at full steam ahead---very skilful work. Sunsets in that area are fantastic.