Newbie - Nuts And Bolts Talk

RubiconCSL

First of all - hello. Total caravan newbie here. We've bought a late 80s caravan, which will need a bit of tarting up. I've already had to take a steady off, dismantle it and order a new nut for it. So far, quite straight forward. I'm sure there will be lots of fun in the coming months!

Anyway. My first question is regarding tools. I've got a reasonable workshop and quite a few tools collected over the years. But, as is the norm, some have seen better days, some have gone walk about and I guess, there will be some I'm going to need, that I've never owned.

First on the list, having got that steady off, is spanners/sockets: what would be a good set of sizes to make sure I've got? I've been looking at getting a socket set and quite like the Halfords professional sets. However, there are a number of different sets, with all manner of sizes and options with them. So, rather than go off and buy a lovely shiny set of tools, 90% of which I'll never use, what would you consider to be standard/normal sizes I'm likely to need for nuts etc? I'm guessing there will be 3 or 4 sizes that will cover most things; maybe 10mm, 12mm, 17mm - but are there any general sizes that cover most things? That will make the choice of socket set I need a LOT easier to whittle down.

Thanks in advance.

Buy ring and open ended spanners 8mm - 24mm and their equivalent in AF sizes.

I actually have one set which covers these in a tool roll. Buy the best you can they

will last a lifetime. The same size ranges apply to sockets as well.

There will be bucket loads of advice to follow but a digital multimeter is very useful.

I would be inclined to buy two socket sets. One set with 1/2" drive from 10mm-24mm (or bigger if available) and a second set covering maybe 4-13mm with 1/2" and possibly 3/8" drives. The latter will likely come with blade, Pozi, and Torx screw adapters as well.

Engineering in the UK has been almost totally metric since the late '60's so there should be no need for imperial sizes. However having said that a few Whitworth sizes, say 3/16"-3/8" are useful as they will often work on gas fitting/knuckles etc. If you do come across imperial sizes or Phillips screws they are most probably on kit of American or Japanese origin.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Damp meter is the most important tool for any caravanner.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Thanks for the responses.

On the socket/spanner front, would this be overkill, or just about right?

http://www. halfords. com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-200-piece-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set

http://www. halfords. com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-170-piece-socket-ratchet-spanner-set

http://www. halfords. com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-120-piece-socket-set

Or this with a decent set of combination spanners too:-

http://www. halfords. com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-170-piece-socket-set-and-25-piece-spanner-set-bundle

Lifetime guarantee too and (allegedly) half price, although I seldom believe such offers :)

On the damp front, any recommendations for a meter, or is it just a case of lifting carpets and sniffing it out - or maybe just putting my foot through the floor :)

Cheap damp meters just have led "traffic lights", good for a quick check but not so good for keeping an eye on a developing problem - better damp meters, with a scale of readings are more expensive and need regular calibration.

The important thing with any damp meter is never check the surface moisture, you always need to penetrate the wallboard - this leaves pinholes so do it under rubber mouldings or inside cupboards - BUT - don't let the meter prongs touch the rubber as that'll give a totally false reading.

The 80 pound socket set will see you through most jobs. Its good value, and Halfords professional tools are actually very very good. If you know someone with a Halfords trade card you might even get a bit more off.

• Like 1

Halfords lifetime guarantee is very good, if it breaks under "normal" use, take it back, they swap it there and then.

When you put your steadies back on do not use wd40 use a good silicon spry as penetrating oil could eat into the threaded pivots

• Like 1

WD40 isn't a lubricant and should never be used as such - it's a water dispersant, hence the initials - quite good at water dispersal but not much good at anything else.

Maybe a torque wrench to stop the wheels coming off. Seriously - it seems to happen to certain caravans but not cars - I've no idea why.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome: I wish I lived by you, I would be on the cadge every day, with a

set like that!! :D:D It is a genulne offer, Halfords always have offers before Christmas.

• Like 1

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Ha ha - I'm ging to get every single item chipped, so I can track them :)

Most of my tools are chipped to. I probably should get some new ones!

The Sealy Torque Wrench is a good 'un, there are cheaper ones.

I go along with the Halfords Kit. I bought Britool when I was an apprentice,

and it is nearly all still with me (borrowers!) a digital 6" Vernier Caliper

is very useful for checking sizes of 'O' rings, bearings, pipes, etc.

Hi, I have always had old 70's caravans but if it's early 80's this may prove useful. It's my bible!

http://www. thomson-caravans. co. uk/advice/maintenance/pdf/bbhandbookchassis72-83. pdf

Compass Shadow 1988

As said good quality tools like the Halfords professional range. I used to use snapon but when some toerag relocated them i have replaced with the halfords. Keep receipt safe as you need that quite often to do the exchanges if anything breaks, so far mine all good after 10 years of aircraft and car abuse :).

I use a torque wrench adaptor like this https://www. machinemart. co. uk/shop/product/details/040215238

Handy for everything including wheel bolts along with a nice breaker bar.

Grumpy ex RAF Chief :) drives a Skoda Superb Elegance Estate CR170 4x4 DSG towing Bailey Unicorn S3 Madrid

Thanks - that looks very useful. Are all of those parts still available? The steady looks a bit different to ours though. Are other manuals still available? It's an Elddis Tornado by the way, now I've checked :)

Hi, I have always had old 70's caravans but if it's early 80's this may prove useful. It's my bible!

http://www. thomson-caravans. co. uk/advice/maintenance/pdf/bbhandbookchassis72-83. pdf

HoneyMonsters, on 08 Dec 2014 - 8:55 PM, said:HoneyMonsters, on 08 Dec 2014 - 8:55 PM, said:

As said good quality tools like the Halfords professional range. I used to use snapon but when some toerag relocated them i have replaced with the halfords. Keep receipt safe as you need that quite often to do the exchanges if anything breaks, so far mine all good after 10 years of aircraft and car abuse :).

I use a torque wrench adaptor like this https://www. machinemart. co. uk/shop/product/details/040215238

Handy for everything including wheel bolts along with a nice breaker bar.

I have snap-on tools too, the ones I bought as an apprentice are still as good as new and I've added to them over the last 40 odd years.

The only problem with snap-on is that they're also attractive to a thief :angry:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Thanks - that looks very useful. Are all of those parts still available? The steady looks a bit different to ours though. Are other manuals still available? It's an Elddis Tornado by the way, now I've checked :)

Hi, not sure to be honest, my last caravan was a 1982 Elddis Cyclone and was this chassis. If not available i'm sure you'd get them in a breakers yard or a new alternative. I've not needed anything new - so far!!

Mine is now a 1974 project but the same chassis. One of the legs doesn't support the caravan and just winds upwards but as we're seasonally pitched i've got mine on axle stands hidden by a caravan skirt. I might get round to looking at the big nut and bolt one day! Just not actually looked for the parts yet

Compass Shadow 1988

Sounds like the same issue we had with our steady (I think that's what you call it). £40 for a new one, so I took it off, dismantled it and found it was just the nut. Made of plastic would you believe! Anyway, found a replacement for £8. 50 inc. postage on ebay - metal this time! Will put it all back together this week end. I have a feeling that many more week ends will be spent like this for a while :)

Hi, not sure to be honest, my last caravan was a 1982 Elddis Cyclone and was this chassis. If not available i'm sure you'd get them in a breakers yard or a new alternative. I've not needed anything new - so far!!

Mine is now a 1974 project but the same chassis. One of the legs doesn't support the caravan and just winds upwards but as we're seasonally pitched i've got mine on axle stands hidden by a caravan skirt. I might get round to looking at the big nut and bolt one day! Just not actually looked for the parts yet

• Like 1

Sounds exactly like mine too, it winds up and down but won't actually support the caravan and ends up off the ground. As you say metal bolt and a plastic nut!! I hadn't actually priced anything up. If I was going to be towing it around to different sites i'd fix it quicker.

Compass Shadow 1988

There you go (and the ***** has gone down 19p too!): http://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/product/B006MH2BC0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Sounds exactly like mine too, it winds up and down but won't actually support the caravan and ends up off the ground. As you say metal bolt and a plastic nut!! I hadn't actually priced anything up. If I was going to be towing it around to different sites i'd fix it quicker.

• Like 1