" Are Caravan Drivers The Scourge Of Britain's Roads"

Grampy

I was returning home a couple of weeks ago and was stopped at a set of pedestrian traffic lights on a single carriageway by a cyclist sitting on his bike on the pavement pressing the button. Traffic stopped both directions he then proceeded to cycle half way across the road and turn right onto the road and continue on his merry way !!!! Responsible? Stupidity ?

I was returning home a couple of weeks ago and was stopped at a set of pedestrian traffic lights on a single carriageway by a cyclist sitting on his bike on the pavement pressing the button. Traffic stopped both directions he then proceeded to cycle half way across the road and turn right onto the road and continue on his merry way !!!! Responsible? Stupidity ?

Slightly off the original topic, but following the above, can I just ignore a cyclist attempting to cycle across a pedestrian crossing? Not necessarily knock him flat, of course, but treat him like a wandering pedestrian on a motorway - horn warning and avoid. :)

PS I do cycle quite regularly, and I use a Zebra crossing, but I walk with my bike.

Edited by philspot

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

I saw a car driver get egg on his face when he tooted up at a cyclist for cycling across a crossing,the cyclist came across and politely explained that it was a Toucan Crossing and as such it was allowed!

knarf

Edited by KNARF

I would rather the cyclist did that than try and cross a busy road an risk injury. This whole car bike van motorhome lorry stuff is all empty arguing.

Road users use the road. We just all have to accept we are all on there. Sometimes car drivers are cyclists. .. sometimes lorry drivers are car drivers. .. sometimes towers are not towing. All all pretty pointless really. Just accept we arr all there and get on with it.

The cyclist did nothing wrong. I do very same, using the pedestrian crossing to get across a very busy crossroads (2 opposite side roads meeting the main one). I cycle up to junction, get off and walk 10 yards to the crossing, then cycle across the road, turn right for 10 yards then head left.

I could of course, instead of using the pelican crossing simply cycle straight across the junction in the same way as a car - but that would be near suicidal!

On topic, my perception is that caravan drivers are less maligned then they used to be. Perhaps because the roads are so much slower now caravans travel as fast as everyone else. ...

This was the main and only road . The pedestrian PEDESTRIAN crossing was operated by push button traffic lights to stop the traffic to allow pedestrian ie; people walking to cross the road not some prat on a bike !

I read the first couple of posts, then got bored. Anyway, I the the Express only 'reported' on stoies about Princess Diana ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards
Ian

The trouble is most non Caravanners don't realise that we are restricted to 50 mph on single lane roads where the limit is 60 for cars.

No doubt a lot of the people who complain about Caravannners are the ones who want to do 90 or more on motorways. I have had people flash their lights at me and expect me to give way to them even though I am sticking to the speed limit.

Les

Lets face it nobody is perfect be it car drivers (towing or not), van drivers, lorry drivers, agricultural vehicle drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians. We are all capable of doing things well and we are all capable of doing things badly as well as somewhere between them both. What usually happens is the few bad apples taint the rest, and life is too short to get wound up about it.

Just don't get in my way when I'm on my way home after work on a Friday :lol::lol::lol::lol::beardy:

• Like 2

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

Lets face it nobody is perfect be it car drivers (towing or not), van drivers, lorry drivers, agricultural vehicle drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians. We are all capable of doing things well and we are all capable of doing things badly as well as somewhere between them both. What usually happens is the few bad apples taint the rest, and life is too short to get wound up about it.

Just don't get in my way when I'm on my way home after work on a Friday

Thats not fair. Most Contributors to this forum are perfect. Their children behave impeccably, their dogs never bark, their driving standards can only be dreamed of by lesser mortals and everything they think or do is is perfect. They never speed, they know the highway code word perfect and obey it all times . ;) Youre not reading enough of the posts on this forum. :unsure: . pahhh, nobody is perfect indeed, :)

• Like 1

Thats not fair. Most Contributors to this forum are perfect. Their children behave impeccably, their dogs never bark, their driving standards can only be dreamed of by lesser mortals and everything they think or do is is perfect. They never speed, they know the highway code word perfect and obey it all times . Youre not reading enough of the posts on this forum. . pahhh, nobody is perfect indeed,

I bow to your obviously superior knowledge oh wise one - I was just judging the omnipotent on here as being the same as myself, amongst the lesser mortals. :P:P:P:D:D:D

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

Yes they are.

But I have a static now hehe.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

The ones that really get me are the ones that sit at 40mph and brake for every corner on B roads with no cars in front of them, never look in their mirrors and are oblivious to the caravan +the line of traffic behind it ( all saying BLOODY CARAVANS ). Then we have the sight seeing camper vans ! The other loonies we often get are the Middle lane 50 mph ( Oooo look at all these big lorries in the inside lane I'm not going in there ) never use their mirrors to see me with van on trying too pass . why o why is there never a police car there then? Then there's the I need that bit of motorway as they overtake you they don't seem to realise how long you're car and van are. Or when sitting in the inside lane on motorway with traffic overtaking me in middle lane and outside lane they try to come from the slip road into the side of me ? Most of them can't see a 30ft white outfit with lights on! Ok rant over