How To Dispose Of (Sadly)Water-Ingressed Mayfly?

Sleighbelle

Having had excellent advice re the forum in the past, we have had the worst news on our much loved 1992 Mayfly. We bought new tyres in April in order to bring it back from France, with a view to using it for holidays in UK. Our holiday plans for 2014 were scuppered as we moved house! I just had it checked over before we made plans for next year, only to be told it has water ingress around the doorside and back of the fridge. I've approached one caravan repair firm but we don't want to spend any more big money on it at this stage( my husband is in his 70s and becoming less confident with towing) and feel it must be worth a couple of hundred pounds to somebody for spares. I'm told that it is not worth it because the 'shell' has to be disposed of after being stripped and that costs. So, should I just strip it out myself, sell the bits on gumtree or whatever, then pay someone to take it away for scrapping? Has it really come to this? Does anyone have advice or experience?

• Like 2

i would stick it on here and gumtree as a project . Someone with time and not a lot of money might want to take on the work and get use out of it . I would of thought it might be worth £500 to right person . Taking this type of item apart for parts never will make a fortune . You would get more for the Aluminium usually scrap value than the components .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 2

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

i would stick it on here and gumtree as a project . Someone with time and not a lot of money might want to take on the work and get use out of it . I would of thought it might be worth £500 to right person . Taking this type of item apart for parts never will make a fortune . You would get more for the Aluminium usually scrap value than the components .

Dave

I would second that.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Should of said this site has a Ad section . Just describe the damage best you can so people do not turn up expecting a jewel as it wastes your time and theirs . It is always best to be a clear as possible so they then know what they can expect when they turn up .

Someone will buy it to tackle the problem as a project over winter ready for next year .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Sad day.

I had a caravan blow over outside the house that was a project, written off so stripped everything out, even all the things like locks, window catches, cupboard fronts, doors you name it and I kid you not EVERYTHING sold! I put on ebay and Gumtree cheap then sold the trailer too.

Before selling the trailer my Husband and mate took everything like the aluminium down, put it in the back of the van and up to the dump no cost no hassle!

Or as said above sell on as a project detailing the problem and someone may come along and take it on. My current caravan was a complete project.

Good luck!

Compass Shadow 1988

Any aluminium bodied van has a scrap value, several kilos of aluminium and some steel. The problem is, that the work involved to turn a van into a pile of saleable scrap, and dispose of the non-recycleable bits gives little, if any profit margin. If you cannot sell as a project, it is worth giving your local scrapyard a ring, they may give you enough for a meal out, if not, they should at least take it off your hands, particularly if you can deliver it to them.

Good add Sleighbelle.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/classifieds/item/1472-mayfly-1992-for-project/

Bet you get good interest. Though not for me would love to see more pics on the add, and it would help your sale.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

How many berth and weight ?

MTPLM 1100 kg ?

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Thanks for all your advice folks. I did state it was 2berth but didn't think to do the weight stuff. I have got lots more photos so will add more and more detail re the extent of the damp etc tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Not sure I have the stamina to do it your way Mech but all respect to you!

Edited by Sleighbelle

I'm sure you'll have no problem shifting it on an eBay classified ad or gumtree, George Clarke has done wonders for the the tatty caravan restoration market

Having had excellent advice re the forum in the past, we have had the worst news on our much loved 1992 Mayfly. We bought new tyres in April in order to bring it back from France, with a view to using it for holidays in UK. Our holiday plans for 2014 were scuppered as we moved house! I just had it checked over before we made plans for next year, only to be told it has water ingress around the doorside and back of the fridge. I've approached one caravan repair firm but we don't want to spend any more big money on it at this stage( my husband is in his 70s and becoming less confident with towing) and feel it must be worth a couple of hundred pounds to somebody for spares. I'm told that it is not worth it because the 'shell' has to be disposed of after being stripped and that costs. So, should I just strip it out myself, sell the bits on gumtree or whatever, then pay someone to take it away for scrapping? Has it really come to this? Does anyone have advice or experience?

Having water ingress is one thing. How much evident damage is there so far. I had significant water ingress on a van some 27 years ago due to a failed awning rail seal. Although there was a lot of water that had gotten in there was no softness apparent. I removed and resealed the rail, also the roof light as that was suspect, and the van was used for probably another 6 or 7 years without problem. I suppose that the ingress was bad enough for me to spot it early.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

If you dont sell it but still want to get rid try Freecycle or Freegle, they are often advertised around here and go for shepherds huts. .no money but no caravan either.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

In practical Caravan Magazine there are a lot of classified ads for companys that are willing to take damaged caravans!

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

Stripping old vans is a time consuming effort for no return. we have done it a couple of times on vans around 1997-2000, never again. ...I have sheds full of caravan bits

We currently have a Elddis Sirrocco, Bailey Pageant,ABI Maruader and an Avondale Eagle about to go to landfill. Let the council get the £30 of mixed metals.

There is a farm along from Burnturk and another just North of Perthshire Caravans both used to store caravans and there is about eight caravans each just lying abandoned. Scrappies not interested. Burnturk ones are to be burnt shortly.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate your consideration for my plight. I am currently inundated with replies and offers re my Gumtree ad so am now hopeful it will be loved again one day by one of these enthusiastic people.

That's great. Just be aware there is lots of scams on Gumtree. Best if the van is collected and real cash exchanged.

John

Stripping old vans is a time consuming effort for no return. we have done it a couple of times on vans around 1997-2000, never again. ...I have sheds full of caravan bits

We currently have a Elddis Sirrocco, Bailey Pageant,ABI Maruader and an Avondale Eagle about to go to landfill. Let the council get the £30 of mixed metals.

There is a farm along from Burnturk and another just North of Perthshire Caravans both used to store caravans and there is about eight caravans each just lying abandoned. Scrappies not interested. Burnturk ones are to be burnt shortly.

Hi Dougie. Does your Sirocco have a front Off Side Front window that would fit an Elddis Cyclone?---Any Elddis at Burnturk??

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.