Baton Down The Hatches

SteveMLewis

Anyone else mad enough to be away this week? We have had this booked for a while so thought hell to it lets give it a go.

Must admit the trip from Shrewsbury to Bryn Gloch Caravan site in North Wales was a little butt clenching at times but we are here, settled and enjoying a glass or two of red.

We will see what tomorrow night and Tuesday morning brings, hopefully I will still be posting Wednesday lol

• Like 1

SteveMLewis

Usually drinking cider somewhere B)

We were at Filey Brigg this weekend, smack on top of the cliffs. The wind was whistling!!

Took the awning down yesterday afternoon.

We've had some good gusts today but the ones on the way look really bad, today I've been in the allotments fastening everything down.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Its been gusting well today here at Clumber park. Still got the Kampa air up. Im wondering whether to chance leaving it up tomorrow

If you ate talking about ex hurricane Gonzalo it's veered further north and will go across the North of Scotland.

Windspeeds round here look to be gusting no more than 48mph, further south in England I doubt it will be noticed

Times are east coast USA so deduct 5 hours from them for UK

143253W5_NL_sm.gif

143253.gif

http://www. xcweather. co. uk/GB/observations?Loc=GB

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Our half term week . ... currently at Stonehaven Caravan Club Site, a bit wild earlier. Were due to move to Forfar on Tuesday but have delayed till Wednesday! It is less than an hour away but the A90 is pretty exposed so best not to risk it.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

If you ate talking about ex hurricane Gonzalo it's veered further north and will go across the North of Scotland.

Windspeeds round here look to be gusting no more than 48mph, further south in England I doubt it will be noticed

Times are east coast USA so deduct 5 hours from them for UK

143253W5_NL_sm.gif

143253.gif

Thank Ich I was starting to worry I might spill my cider :)

http://www. xcweather. co. uk/GB/observations?Loc=GB

Our half term week . ... currently at Stonehaven Caravan Club Site, a bit wild earlier. Were due to move to Forfar on Tuesday but have delayed till Wednesday! It is less than an hour away but the A90 is pretty exposed so best not to risk it.

I don't blame you. I know the road well and rather you than me. Stay safe!

SteveMLewis

Indeed Steven . ... will stay put till Wednesday when it looks a fair bit calmer.

It was very windy today but loads of vans out on the A90

We saw a few about but not too many. A couple of times I doubted myself for making the trip but we got here.

Have fun :)

SteveMLewis

Very windy coming back home today from the North Yorkshire Moors - the winds over the top were strong. Glad we're home, hubby hates towing in wind, although the CL owner would have let us leave it there had it been too bad to travel.

• Like 1

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Well at 4. 00pm today, our lightweight small awning, almost blew inside out! Quite frightening, as I do not want the caravan damaged!

Got it down quicker than that! Stuffed it in a bag and put it in the back of the Freelander2.

We are at Burrs Country Park CC.

Off in the morning towards Cromer! Weather should be better by Tuesday!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

V strong tail wind up the M6 from Gailey this morning but the van scarcely moved

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Mainland Britain never gets really extreme winds below 1500 feet - the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides) on the other hand regularly gets Violent Storm Force 11 - Gale Force is only Force 8!

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Winds were strong in N Wales today, I had to put the collar up on my jacket while I was walking to the car. I left the van on site due to it being anchored down to the concrete base :D

On a serious note, take care out there folks. Happiness is being able to use your van AFTER the storm and before ego takes over ;)

H.

• Like 1

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

High winds in polythene valley today---I had a large portion of fried onions last night drowned by a couple of pints of lager---LOL LOL.

We were at the caravan overnight. Was windy but mild yesterday however it got up during the night. I hardly slept as I hate the wind in a caravan even though mine is anchored down.

This morning the wind was really bad and the rain ust got worse and worse, was the same back home. Rain off but still windy now.

Compass Shadow 1988

We were in Scarborough this weekend. There were 2 awnings that had blown down and another that looked in danger of coming down.

Most of us on seasonal pitches had taken our awnings down a couple of weeks ago. There were a few that were still up and looking secure. I suppose it all depends on how the wind is hitting the awnings. The effected ones all seemed to have the wind blowing directly at the front.

We drove back from Blackpool yesterday afternoon and felt a few strong gusts, the worst was going over the exposed bit of the M6 just before Gretna.

We had to take the van back to storage this afternoon, again felt it a bit windy but just took my time as I was in no hurry.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona

Well at 4. 00pm today, our lightweight small awning, almost blew inside out! Quite frightening, as I do not want the caravan damaged!

Got it down quicker than that! Stuffed it in a bag and put it in the back of the Freelander2.

We are at Burrs Country Park CC.

Off in the morning towards Cromer! Weather should be better by Tuesday!

All awnings are down on this site and we didn't even bother putting ours up. As you say don't want to be damaging the van.

Mainland Britain never gets really extreme winds below 1500 feet - the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides) on the other hand regularly gets Violent Storm Force 11 - Gale Force is only Force 8!

Been in Force 10 offshore and on the Shetlands. Now that's what you call windy !!!

Hopefully check in and report tomorrow night. ...if we are not sailing down the Menai Straight :)

Stay safe all !!!

SteveMLewis

Its been a lovely day here today :)

I've managed to cut the grass and get the leaves out of the way ready for the next lot, I've also cleaned out the drains ready for the downpour.

Watch it miss us now :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Been very pleasant in Stonehaven too . .. a few awnings still up on this site, including a couple of the flimsy ones!

• Like 1

So far no awnings down . .... a few vans have even taken to the road, rather them than me!

Well I'm glad to report we are still upright and in one piece. ....just. Not a huge amount of sleep had although the OH seemed to do alright lol. It did get a bit rough over night but by morning the worst had blown through thankfully.

We even managed to get a 4 hour walk/hike in this afternoon even if it was a bit chilly when the hail descended. That pint (or three) was good at the end though :)

Hope everyone survived and no damage has been caused.

So far no awnings down . .... a few vans have even taken to the road, rather them than me!

Have to admit I don't mind towing but even I wouldn't have taken to the roads today. Madness.

SteveMLewis

Me either! One of them had no stabiliser either. I know they are not essential normally . ... but on a day like this??!!!

We had a fitful night too, partially due to the guy ropes on a neighbours awning playing a tune in the wind.

Moving on tomorrow which is looking a fair bit calmer.